Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo confirmed plans to move the National Fantasy Football Convention to an NFL-approved venue in Los Angeles in 2016.
“We just wanted a chance to have fans interact with their favorite players. We’re going to do it next year in Los Angeles in 2016. It will be a chance to learn about fantasy football,” said Romo in an interview with his hometown newspaper in Wisconsin.
“You can learn about technique, why you should start someone versus certain coverages. Little things that the average person wouldn’t know the details on,” Romo added.
A fantasy football-themed event in Las Vegas headlined by Romo was called off last month after the National Football League (NFL) reiterated its policy banning player appearances associated with casinos.
The three-day event was scheduled for July 10–12, to be hosted by the Venetian Resort Hotel Casino in Las Vegas. More than 100 players were expected to participate in question-and-answer sessions and other activities.
“It’d be neat to get out there and be up close with your favorite players. A bunch of Packers and Cowboys will be there. I still haven’t played fantasy football, but you see an avenue for the people to enjoy football,” Romo added.
During the interview, Romo also express his confidence on Cowboys’ ongoing negotiations with wide receiver Dez Bryant.
“The NFL is a business, it really is,” Romo told MyRacineCounty.com. “You’ll see that side sometimes, with DeMarco [Murray] leaving and Dez not being part of the offseason. I think it will work out with Dez.”
If the two sides can’t agree to a deal by July 15, then Bryant will have two options: sign his one-year franchise tender, which would guarantee him $12.82m in 2015 or sit out.
Bryant has been threatening to sit out at least the regular season opener if a new deal doesn’t get done.