CASINO

SJM still tops Macau’s market share in June, Wynn Macau falls to last place

TAGs: Casino News, Galaxy Entertainment Group, Macau, melco crown, MGM China, sands china, wynn macau

macau-high-stakes-challenge-intro-thumbnailIn what has become a recurring theme until proven otherwise, SJM Holdings continued its hold on top of Macau’s market share list in June, staking a 24.5 percent share of the overall gambling market in the Chinese territory. That figure represents a 1.5 percent increase from its shares in May, although still short of the 26 percent share it had back in April. That being said, the company, which operates the most number of casinos in Macau, is still significantly ahead of long-standing bridesmaid Sands China, which accounted for 20.5 percent of Macau’s market share in June, half-a-percent lower than its month-on-month numbers.

Coming in third yet again was Galaxy Entertainment Group at about 19 percent, returning to that figure a month after it lost one percent of the market in May. Melco Crown also retained its fourth place standing with a 14.5 percent market share in June, right about the same figure it had a month ago.

While there wasn’t significant movement on the top four casino operators in Macau as far as the June market shares, there should be cause for concern from the Wynn Macau camp, which not only saw its share drop to 10 percent from 12 percent in May, but also watched helplessly as perennial bottom-dweller MGM China Holdings leapfrog it into fifth place with the latter holding steady to its 11-percent market share, same as what it had in May.

For the entire month, Macau reported earning MOP28.3 billion in gross gaming revenue, the fourth straight month it has hit the MOP28 billion threshold. More importantly, the June ’13 numbers represented a 21.1-percent increase from its numbers in May. For the entire year so far, Macau’s total gross gaming revenue has hit MOP171.4 billion, 15.3 percent better than what it earned last year at around the same time.

Comments

views and opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of CalvinAyre.com