CASINO

Resorts World Manila facility gets make-over

TAGs: PAGCOR, Philippines, Resorts World Manila

Philippine casino operator Travellers International Hotel Group Inc. implemented a major overhaul of its Resorts World Manila (RWM) gaming facility as it resumed operations on Thursday.

In a disclosure to the Philippine Stock Exchange, Travellers announced that it has moved the gaming area of RWM on the ground and third floors as part of an overhaul of its security operations that followed the highly publicized June 2, 2017 botched robbery attempt.

The second floor, which was set fire by problem gambler Jesse Javier Carlos when he barged inside the RWM premises earlier this month, will be used for other non-gaming purposes.

RWM passed the PAGCOR inspection that recognized how the enhancements and new emergency, safety and security protocols have been fortified since the incident.

“With PAGCOR’s assistance and guidance, we can now start the difficult task of rebuilding as it is also our responsibility to take care of our 6,000 staff and personnel,” Kingson Sian, RWM president and CEO, said in a statement.

Apart from the changes inside the facility, RWM said that it engaged international security outfit Blackpanda earlier this month to tighten external and internal security protocols.

RWM has also committed to further intensify its coordination and joint drill sessions with the Philippine National Police and Bureau of Fire Protection for various emergency situations.

“RWM remains committed to putting in place the best security and safety measures available and will constantly review for upgrades as new technology and developments require,” Sian said.

On Thursday, the state-run Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation gave RWM’s parent company Travellers the greenlight for the resumption of its operations following the latter’s compliance with the regulator’s required security and safety improvements.

According to PAGCOR, it is also closely monitoring RWM’s efforts of atonement for the victims of the June 2 tragedy.

PAGCOR confirmed that the casino operator has settled the hospital bills of all wounded victims and has given P500,000 cash assistance to each of them.

PAGCOR also ensured that the families of those who perished in the tragedy would receive settlements tailored to each family’s needs. Included in RWM’s settlements were full scholarship grants for children from grade school to college and the assurance of a job at RWM once these scholars graduate.

“We now wish to focus our efforts on other equally important concerns – such as the 6,000 RWM gaming employees who fear losing their source of livelihood in the event that the company closes shop. If this happens, thousands of families may not be able to put food on the table or pay for amortizations and other basic needs like shelter, water, among others,” PAGCOR said in an e-mailed statement to CalvinAyre.com on Friday.

Comments

views and opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of CalvinAyre.com