BUSINESS

Marketing costs blunt Unibet profits; Kambi Sports Solutions revenue up 29%

TAGs: kambi sports solutions, Unibet

unibet-kambi-sports-solutionsMalta-licensed online gambling operator Unibet says profit fell nearly one-third in Q1 due to a combination of increased marketing costs and unfavorable currency exchange rates.

Unibet reported profit before tax falling 32% to £11.3m in the three months ending March 31, while earnings were down a similar percentage to £14.4m. Revenue was essentially flat at £76.1m although the company says that if those pesky currency fluctuations were eliminated, revenue would have risen over 15% despite “strong comparatives” with the same period last year.

Unibet acknowledged that its 18% rise in marketing costs – spent primarily in its UK and Australian markets – had depressed Q1 margins but assured investors that the benefits of these promos were already being felt. The company said active customer ranks had risen nearly 11% to 612k, an all-time high that surpassed the levels seen during the 2014 FIFA World Cup, while customer deposits were up 12% (25% in constant currency).

Sports betting was Unibet’s star performer in Q1, with revenue up 8% to £35.5m despite free bet offers eating away at margins. Betting turnover rose 17% (30% in constant currency) and the vertical’s share of the overall revenue pie rose eight points to 47%. In-play wagers accounted for 52.4% of total bets, up from 45.1% a year ago.

The rest of Unibet’s verticals weren’t so fortunate, with casino revenue down 1% to £34.9m, poker down 8% to £2.2m and ‘other’ revenue down 41% to £3.5m. Mobile channels accounted for 48% of total revenue.

Unibet says 28% of its Q1 revenue came from regulated markets. Revenue from Unibet’s core Nordic markets fell four points to 45%, while Western Europe rose six points to 38%. Other European markets slipped one point to 8% while ‘other’ regions fell by half to 2%.

For the first 26 days of April, Unibet said sports turnover was up 22% and overall revenue was up 4% from Q1 2015.

KAMBI OPERATOR TURNOVER UP 47%
Meanwhile, Unibet’s former B2B division Kambi Sports Solutions saw its revenue rise 29% to €10m in Q1. Kambi-licensed operators – which include Unibet, 888 and 32Red – reported a 47% gain in combined turnover thanks to a significant increase in the number of live bets on offer. Kambi’s operating profit came to €800k on an 8% margin, while profit after tax hit €600k.

The quarter saw Kambi upgrade its Italian market service in preparation for its expected launch in that market later this year. Kambi also inked a long-term extension of its deal with Finnish gambling operator Paf. Since the quarter ended, Kambi has received its new UK Gambling Commission license.

Comments

views and opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of CalvinAyre.com