Apps are always the more modern flexible option, or are they?
The way people play, and pay for games, is rapidly changing, as technology advances.
- Games that were traditionally played on consoles and browsers are moving towards mobile devices. Many new game developers are uploading to the cloud, and developing games purely for the mobile market and sites such as YouTube and Facebook.
- Gamers like to be able to download games for free, with payment only starting in order to access higher levels within a game.
- The audiences have changed. Die-hard gamers and teenage males who used consoles have been joined by a much wider mobile audience, including more women and children. When payments managers are asked about their primary audiences, they now mention women between 30 and 40 years old!
As games develop and change, then so must the payment methods. Payment methods need to be consistently better and safer to make the payment process quick and easy for both players and merchants and seamless for the players. Flexibility and ease of use with solid security measures in place are obviously key for consumers.
The move to mobile games and the growth of apps is continuing. The possibilities of anytime, anywhere playing of your favourite game are very appealing however can an app ever offer the best payment solution or does a web view payment option ultimately offer more flexibility and more security for gamers and merchants.
Yuval Ziv, COO of SafeCharge, a leader in advanced payment technologies, says:
‘Although apps are seen as the future by many, there are still obvious advantages to a web view payment solution.’
- A mobile site has better customisation flexibility. If any changes are made, e.g. adding of payment methods or updating a feature, it is very user-friendly as the merchant does not have to do anything as it is all updated automatically.
- With an app, the Merchant has to do all the updating, and these must be approved by the Google App store or Apple App Store. This takes time and changes have to be checked thoroughly and only once approved can they be made. The updates then have to be down loaded by the user.
- Vital security updates could be delayed with an app but would happen automatically with a mobile site
- A mobile site is available across multiple digital platforms, such as tablets, mobiles etc. and is a cheaper option for the gamer.
‘The newest solution is not always the best solution in payments ‘, says Yuval
SafeCharge offers two solution types: the Android SDK and the new solution “Web View” which is like an IFrame for mobile Apps – both for Android and iOS.
SafeCharge International Group Limited is a global provider of payments services, technologies and risk management solutions for online and mobile businesses. The SafeCharge group has a diversified, blue chip client base and is a trusted payment partner for customers from various e-commerce verticals. SafeCharge has been Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (“PCI-DSS”) Level 1 certified since 2007 and is listed on the London Stock Exchange AIM market (LSE: SCH). The Company’s wholly owned subsidiary, SafeCharge Limited, is an authorized Electronic Money Institution regulated by the Central Bank of Cyprus and a principal member of MasterCard Europe and Visa Europe. The SafeCharge group has operations in the UK, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Israel, Germany, Austria and Ireland. www.safecharge.com