The APT Asian Series Cebu kicked off today with its Day 1A of the PHP 5,500 buy-in Cebu Cup, opening with 147 players sitting down at Manila‘s Waterfront Hotel and Casino’s All In Poker Club. However that impressive number soon diminished and by the end of the day there were only 40 players remaining, AsainPokerTour.com reports, with local Filipino William Nuneza leading on 82,300 in chips.
Other notable players in the series’ first day included Sangeeth Mohan, Victor Chong, Dave “El Blondie” Colclough, Jay Lubas, Richard Marquez, Tetsuya Tsuchikawa and Hirotoshi Nakabo.
Nuneza’s rise to the top came courtesy of Kim Michael Enriquez in one of the final hands of the evening. Unfortunately for Enriquez, he ran into Nuneza along with a short-stacked opponent, sending both Enriquez and the short stack to the back of the dinner queue and boosting Nuneza to the top spot.
Here’s the top 10 chip counts at the end of the tournament’s first day:
1. William Nuneza (Philippines) 82,300
2. Gerry Flores (Philippines) 67,700
3. Hung Doo Sok (Korea) 57,100
4. Jason Walker (United States) 50,300
5. Ernesto Juano (Philippines) 48,400
6. Mars Espera (Philippines) 45,700
7. Lukasz Jankowski (Poland) 40,600
8. Arnius Galkinskas (Lithuania) 38,600
9. Adrian Jayme (Philippines) 36,700
10. Kang Dong Woo (Korea) 35,400
The series continues tomorrow with its Day 1B event tarting at 1pm. Who you backing to win?