Despite talks being held last month between the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) and the Professional Jockeys’ Association (PJA), which resulted in changes to the new whip regulations – the BHA insists the new rules are still the subject of “constant monitoring”.
The news comes after Irish Jockey Tony McCoy was critical of the rules when airing his views on television after he became the latest high-profile racer to receive a suspension at Ffos Las on Sunday.
The 16-times champion received his first five-day ban under the new regulations after being found to have used his whip once more than the allotted eight times on Caddie Master, who was beaten a short-head in the three-mile handicap hurdle. Because of the slip of the whip, McCoy will receive a 10-day suspension the next time he falls foul of the rules in the next 12 months. There will be a further 30-day ban for a third offence within that period.
BHA communications manager, Robin Mounsey, said: “It’s the same situation as before. Discussions are continuing with the PJA and Horsemen, but they are quite rightly taking place out of the media.
“It would be wrong of us to react based solely on a high-profile jockey being suspended. As has been said on a number of occasions, it is an ongoing process. I can assure you that constant monitoring of the situation and constant dialogue is taking place.”
The new whip rules means jockeys will now not only lose their riding fee if suspended for a whip offence but they will also lose a percentage of their prize-money if their offence earns a ban of seven days or more. Ouch!