As we approach one of the biggest acquisition days in our industry for North American facing books, all of those hoping that Uncle Mo would be running in the Kentucky Derby were treated to a bout of disappointing news. Uncle Mo was considered an early favourite to win the Run for the Roses, but internal problems with Uncle Mo’s GI tract and infection have lead to the horse being sidelined.
With the announcement of Uncle Mo being scratched from the Kentucky Derby the horses at the 19th and 20th positions will each move down one position. Uncle Mo was highly favoured at 5:1, so if you thought that the field was wide open before, it’s even more wide open now.
Here are the odds of the rest of the field:
1. Archarcharch – Jockey: Jon Court- 10:1
2. Brilliant Speed – Jockey: Joel Rosario- 30:1
3. Twice The Appeal – Jockey: Calvin Borel- 30:1
4. Stay Thirsty – Jockey: Ramon Dominguez- 30:1
5. Decisive Moment – Jockey: Kerwin Clark- 50:1
6. Comma To The Top – Jockey: Pat Valenzuela- 30:1
7. Pants On Fire – Jockey: Rosie Naprivnik- 30:1
8. Dialed In – Jockey: Julien Leparoux- 4:1
9. Derby Kitten – Jockey: Javier Castellano- 30:1
10. Twinspired – Jockey: Mike Smith- 30:1
11. Master Of Hounds – Jockey: Garrett Gomez- 20:1
12. Santiva – Jockey: Shaun Bridgmohan- 30:1
13. Mucho Macho Man – Jockey: Rajiv Maragh- 12:1
14. Shackleford – Jockey: Jose Castanon- 20:1
15. Midnight Interlude – Jockey: Victor Espinoza- 12:1
16. Animal Kingdom – Jockey: Robby Albarado- 20:1
17. Soldat – Jockey: Alan Garcia- 20:1
18. Nehro – Jockey: Corey Nakatini- 6:1
19. Watch Me Go – Jockey: Rafael Bejarano 50:1
You’ll note that Kentucky Derby legend and jockey Calvin Borel found his way into the Kentucky Derby again this year, Borel is the only rider to capture three Derbys in four years but he didn’t have a horse to ride until just 12 days before the Kentucky Derby. No doubt Borel will once again be looking to pull his signature move and hug that rail to victory.
Keep an eye out for Watch Me Go at 50:1. Longshots at 50:1 already have a history of making shockwaves at the Kentucky Derby as we witnessed with Mine that Bird two years ago. Of course, it was Borel who had a hand in that longshot victory as well.